Maytag is one of the oldest and top rated USA based home appliance companies. Their refrigerators are best for lots of food stocking, frequently opening and longtime usability. According to the consumers, Maytag refrigerator runs smoothly year after year. After usage for a long time, it may face some minor problems. Maytag refrigerator not cooling or freezing is one of them.
But don’t worry! It’s just a silly problem. You no need to send it to a repair shop. If you know the reasons behind this problem, you can easily get rid of this it.
How to Fix Your Maytag Refrigerator Not Cooling or Freezing Problem
You no need to be an expert. Trust me it is as simple as ABC. Here are some possible causes and solutions. Just follow them and fix cooling issue.
Clean Condenser Coils
Condenser coils are usually placed at the back of a Maytag refrigerator. In some new models, they provide the condenser coils at the bottom of the refrigerator. Those coils take in the coolant and pass it as liquid. To get the best service, coils must be cleaned. Dirty and dusty coils cause not a cooling issue. To fix this problem follow the steps-
- Unplug your refrigerator from its power source.
- Determine the location of condenser coils.
- If it is at the bottom of your refrigerator, use a screwdriver to loosen the screws.
- Remove the grill from its front to uncover the coils.
- Otherwise, move the refrigerator carefully and remove the back cover to uncover coils.
- Gently vacuum the dust and dirt on coils.
- Put back the refrigerator’s back cover or grill and run it.
Check Condenser Fan Motor
Condenser fan motor is located between the compressor and the condenser coils in your refrigerator. It provides the air through the coils and over the compressors. If the condenser fan motor does not work properly, your refrigerator cooling system will not work properly. To identify and fix the problem follow the steps-
- Unplug your refrigerator.
- Determine condenser fan motor location. It must be nearby condenser coils.
- Remove the grill or uncover the back cover of your refrigerator to unveil it.
- Turn the condenser fan blades by hand.
- If it does not spin freely, replace the fan motor.
- Otherwise, check the motor continuity with a multimeter.
- If it does not show continuity, replace it.
Replace Faulty Evaporator Fan Motor
It is located on the back wall inside the freezer compartment. It is kept safe behind a panel. It circulates cool air throughout the refrigerator’s two compartments. When the evaporator fan motor fails to work properly, the refrigerator or freezer compartment or both compartments won’t be cool. To determine and fix the problem follow the steps-
- Unplug your Refrigerator.
- Open the freezer door and remove the shelves and icemaker.
- Use a screwdriver to open the back panel.
- Disconnect the wares and bring out the panel.
- Spin the evaporator fan blade manually.
- If it does not work properly, replace it.
- If the motor makes an unusual noise, it is also a sign of a faulty motor. So, replace it.
- You can also test the continuity of the evaporator fan motor if it does not work at all. Replace it.
Replace Burned Out Start Relay
Start relay provides power to the compressor and works together with the start winding to start the refrigerator’s compressor. When start relay burns out neither the compressor works nor the interior can be frozen. Follow the steps and fix the start relay.
- Disconnect the start relay from the compressor.
- Gently shake it.
- If you hear any rattle sound or smell any burnt odor. It may be defective.
- To be confirmed, test the continuity between the run and start terminal socket with a multimeter.
- If it shows no continuity, replace it with a new one.
Check for Defective Temperature Control Thermostat
Temperature control thermostat device maintains the temperature inside your refrigerator. Usually, it has a knob located inside the refrigerator. It allows you to set the temperature between the ranges of 1 to 7. 7 is the coldest one, you may adjust the temperature by turning the knob left to right or right to left. The thermostat passes the voltage to the compressor, condenser and evaporator fan motor. If it becomes defective, the refrigerant system may not run. To check and fix the problem follow the steps-
- Confirm your refrigerator’s thermostat knob location.
- Rotate the knob to the highest point.
- You must hear a click sound.
- If it clicks, maybe the temperature control thermostat is working properly.
- If you didn’t hear a click sound, take a multimeter and test the thermostat for continuity.
- If you don’t get any continuity in any setting, this part is defective.
- So, replacement of this part will solve the not cooling or not freezing issue.
Replace Faulty Start Capacitor
Start capacitor of your refrigerator must be located near the compressor. Usually, you can find it behind your refrigerator. It seems like a small black box. This part provides starting voltage to your refrigerator compressor. A defective start capacitor fails to pass power to the compressor. So, the cooling system of your refrigerator might be prevented. To check and troubleshoot the start capacitor follow the steps-
- Unplug your refrigerator from the power connection.
- Remove the back cover of your refrigerator.
- Determine the location of the start capacitor.
- Remove the plug to separate it from the compressor.
- Check the continuity of the start capacitor with a multimeter.
- If there is no continuity, replace it with a new one.
Look for Problematic Thermistor
There are two thermistors in your Maytag refrigerator. One is located at the freezer’s bottom and another is at the fresh food compartment. Those locations may vary from model to model. The thermistors are the parts of the interior temperature monitoring system. They turn on the cooling system automatically at the time of temperature rising inside the refrigerator. A defective thermistor fails to measure the temperature properly and sends the wrong signal to the AC control module. That’s why you will have to face unreliable fluctuations in refrigerator interior temperature. To check and fix the problem follow the steps-
- Find out the problematic compartment. Either your refrigerator has no cooling problem or the freezer has no freezing problem.
- Determine the place of the thermistor in the problematic compartment.
- Take a multimeter and measure the resistance of the thermistor.
- It must be changed in conjunction with the refrigerator or freezer temperature.
- If the resistance doesn’t change. The thermistor is responsible for your refrigerator’s not cooling issue. replace it.
The compressor is located at the backside bottom part of your refrigerator. It is a black color big size pump that compresses the refrigerant and circulates it throughout the refrigerator through the condenser and evaporator coils. If you check and fix all the above mentioned parts but still your refrigerator’s cooling or freezing system does not work properly, the problem is with the compressor. To troubleshoot it, follow the steps-
- Unplug your refrigerator from the power source.
- Carefully move your refrigerator to make space behind it.
- Use a screwdriver to open the back cover.
- Disconnect the compressor and remove it from the refrigerator.
- Take a multimeter and check the continuity.
- If you do not find any continuity, it is time to change your refrigerator’s compressor.
Replace Temperature Control Board
This temperature control board is located behind the thermostat knob inside the fresh food compartment. It provides continuous voltage to the compressor as well as to the fan motor. It is one of the most secured and long lasting parts of a refrigerator. It is a very rare case that the temperature control board fails. After testing all the above problems, you may test your temperature control board. To check and fix the problem follow the steps-
- Disconnect your refrigerator from its power source.
- Open the fresh food compartment door.
- Open the panel behind the thermostat with a screwdriver.
- Remove the temperature control board.
- Use a multimeter to read the continuity of the temperature control board.
- If you find no continuity, replace it with a new one.
Problems with Main Control Board
The main control board of the Maytag refrigerator is the most secured and sustaining part. It is almost impossible to have problems with the main control board. But at the last step of troubleshooting, you may check the control board to be sure. If there is a problem with the main control board, the whole refrigerator will stop running. So, follow the steps and fix it.
- Disconnect the power.
- Turn the refrigerator back carefully.
- Use a screwdriver to open up the panel over the main control board of your refrigerator.
- Uncover the plastic cover over the control board and remove it from the panel.
- Check the continuity with a multimeter.
- If you do not get any sustainable reading, it means the main control board is faulty. So, replace it.
- Never forget to disconnect while investigating the electronic parts. Unawareness might cause death.
- Take the help of another person to move the refrigerator.
- Do not shake while moving the refrigerator.
- Keep flammable material away from the refrigerator.
- Do not use warm water to clean the cold parts.
- Always replace parts with the authorized company provided parts.
- Take help from a local technician in need.
Q: How long do Maytag refrigerators last?
Answer: A Maytag branded refrigerator lasts for 10 to 20 years. It depends on your using method, properly taking care, regular cleaning, replacing defective parts in time and so on. Apart from that, they provide you a 10 years long warranty for some parts.
Q: Why my Maytag fridge not cold?
Answer: Check your thermostat knob first. 4 is the standard point to keep the balance between your freezer and refrigerator. If the outside temperature is higher than normal, turn the knob to the higher point. If it is alright, there might be other problems in your refrigerator. Check the above-mentioned solutions.
Q: Where is the thermostat on a Maytag refrigerator?
Answer: The thermostat is located inside the fresh food compartment, behind the top shelf. It is set behind a cover panel. Only the thermostat knob is visible to allow the user to control the refrigerator temperature. In further cases, you may need to uncover and fix the thermostat.
Q: Where is the evaporator fan located in a Maytag refrigerator?
Answer: Generally, evaporator fan is located in the back part of the freezer. It sends air through the refrigerator coil. Refrigerator coils convert this air into cool air and circulate throughout your device.
Q: How do I adjust the temperature on my Maytag refrigerator?
Answer: There is a thermostat knob located at the inside of the fresh food compartment of your refrigerator. Turn it to adjust the temperature. You can set the temperature point between the ranges of 1 to 7. To raise the temperature, turn it to the lower point. To reduce the temperature, turn it to a higher point.
The main purpose of using a refrigerator is to store food for a while. Maytag gives all the possible facilities that users need. Using Maytag with proper care provides long lasting service. Hopefully, this detailed discussion will help you to troubleshoot your Maytag refrigerator not cooling or freezing problem.