Ice makers are one of the coolest features you get in modern refrigerators. Like every leading home appliance brand, Whirlpool has added this feature to their refrigerators too. But electronics are vulnerable to damage, and so is your refrigerator’s ice maker.
So, if you are facing the Whirlpool refrigerator ice maker not working problem, what can you do?
The main thing to do before troubleshooting your Whirlpool refrigerator ice maker is to identify the origin of the problem. Common troubleshooting includes restarting the refrigerator, replacing the water filter, cleaning any clog from the ice maker, flushing the refrigerator’s waterline, etc.
So if you’re having an issue with your Whirlpool refrigerator ice maker, this article is here to help you fix it.
Whirlpool Refrigerator Ice Maker Not Working
Ice makers are an important part of the refrigerator. A lot of components of the refrigerator contribute to this section. So it is expected that there will be a range of problems related to the ice maker. Let’s break that down.
Problems can be caused by your Whirlpool ice maker not making ice at all, making too much ice, making smaller ice cubes, not getting enough water supply, etc.
There could be many reasons behind it. We tried to make a list of things that could possibly cause the Whirlpool refrigerator to not make ice. They are:
- When the controller switch is accidentally turned off. This switch is found in nearly every refrigerator with a built-in ice maker.
- If the ice maker is not getting enough water supply, a frozen or blocked water line can cause the ice maker to stop working.
- Low water pressure can be responsible for it. The water inlet valve generates the required water pressure in the water filter. If the water inlet valve is defective, it can be the culprit.
- The assembly of your ice maker might be at fault. It could be the cause of the ice maker not working, especially if it was recently installed.
Troubleshooting Whirlpool Refrigerator Ice Maker Not Working Problem
There are some easy DIY techniques to fix the defective ice maker. Some of them are easy, but some may cost you some bucks. If you cannot fix the problem by yourself, you’d better call a repairman.
Some of the easiest and most effective troubleshooting includes:
1. Make Sure The Switch Is Turned ON
This is frequently the case when your Whirlpool refrigerator is working properly but the ice maker is not. Before going into other troubleshooting methods, make sure that the ice maker switch is turned on. If you can’t find the switch, go through the user’s manual.
However, the power switch is not available in some later versions of Whirlpool refrigerators. Instead, computerized controllers handle the electricity supply in modern freezers. If you can’t find the switch, go to the user’s handbook of your product.
2. Set the Right Temperature for Your Freezer
It’s possible that the temperature parameters on your Whirlpool refrigerator are inaccurate. For optimum ice formation, the freezer temperature should be somewhere between 0 and 5 degrees Fahrenheit.
If the temperature exceeds 5 degrees Fahrenheit, the ice might not even properly form and it may become thinner or deformed. Temperatures under 0°F, on the other hand, may lead to the accumulation of ice preventing ice from expelling.
3. Make Sure The Ice Maker Is Not Jammed
Ice blockage is a typical cause of your Whirlpool refrigerator’s being unable to form ice. When the ice maker releases ice, it is frequently not totally frozen. When frozen water collects on the extractor over time, the ice maker might become jammed, simultaneously stopping ice from falling.
If you notice ice buildup inside the ejector arm of the ice maker, clean it thoroughly with a utensil. In this case, use a plastic utensil. Metal utensils may damage the inside of the ejector’s arm. You can also switch the refrigerator off and let it thaw.
4. Flushing the Refrigerator Water Line
Sometimes, after replacing the water filter, you need to flush the waterline. It is an easy process. Start dispensing water from your refrigerator for 5 seconds after installing a new water filter. Repeat the same process several times.
It will remove extra air from the water line and allow water to flow into the ice maker.
5. Inadequate Water Supply
In some cases, the Whirlpool refrigerator ice maker is unable to produce ice owing to a lack of water supply. Inadequate water supply can be caused by a jammed water filter, a webbed water hose pipe, or any defect in the water inlet valve. As a result, the production of ice can be reduced or halted. To deal with this, check these things out:
- Make sure to replace your water filter every six months.
- Check for bends in the pipe of the refrigerator. Correct any bends and prevent others by ensuring the fridge isn’t pressed against anything too tightly.
- Replace a faulty water input valve with a skilled repairman.
6. A Defect In The Ice Maker
If you’re done troubleshooting your Whirlpool refrigerator ice maker and it’s still not working, then the internal components of the ice maker may be at fault. If any of the parts are damaged, you may have to buy the whole set because the parts aren’t manufactured by Whirlpool individually.
Take professional help to replace your ice maker.
Whirlpool French Door Refrigerator Ice Maker Not Working
The French-door refrigerator is the newest edition to the market of refrigerators. Whirlpool French door refrigerators offer built-in ice makers. They are placed in the bottom section of the refrigerator.
Like with other Whirlpool refrigerators, the reasons for a defective ice maker are the same. So in this case, try the above troubleshooting methods. But you have to bear in mind that, the system is more complex in a French door refrigerator and the components are located in a different place.
Make sure to go through the user’s guide to do it properly. Another thing to keep in mind is the cost. The repair cost of a French-door refrigerator is much higher than a traditional refrigerator. The ice maker is also costlier than the former.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q. Can a bad filter cause the refrigerator ice maker not to work?
YES. A bad filter can cause the refrigerator ice maker not to work in some models. If the water filter is blocked, water cannot flow into the ice maker from the water dispenser. This will lead to ice maker malfunctions. So, it is important to change the water filter every six months.
Many models show when you need to change the water filter. If necessary, you may have to change it before six months to keep your ice maker running.
Q. Why is my Whirlpool refrigerator ice maker making small ice?
If your Whirlpool refrigerator ice maker is making small ice cubes, there could be many reasons behind it. They are:
- If the water pressure is low.
- If you are using the reverse osmosis system, it can possibly lead to decreased water flow to the filter.
- Check the water filter. If it’s clogged, then it will reduce the water flow to the ice maker.
- If you haven’t flushed the water system after installing a new filter.
- If the water filter is damaged or installed incorrectly.
Q. Why is my Whirlpool refrigerator ice maker making too much ice?
If your Whirlpool refrigerator is making too much ice, the issue could be with the settings or the bin sensor. Here are some of those reasons:
- If your ice maker is not on the same level, it will not work properly. Make sure to adjust it.
- If the bin sensor isn’t working appropriately, it will lead to an overproduction of ice. A broken bin sensor needs to be replaced as soon as possible.
- Make sure you haven’t turned on the “max ice” option in your Whirlpool refrigerator.
Q. Why is my Refrigerator ice maker making ice slowly?
A slow production of ice in the ice maker can be a result of many things. It can be due to:
- A blocked or damaged water filter.
- If the internal temperature is not low enough.
- If the freezer is not filled with enough food, the temperature tends to fluctuate. It will lead to low ice production.
- If the water supply to the ice maker is reduced.
Q. How much does it cost to fix a Whirlpool fridge ice maker?
The average cost of repairing a Whirlpool fridge ice maker is around $150. The cost can vary from $90 to $200, depending on the damage. The common repair includes the replacement of the valve in the water inlet. It usually costs around $150 to $180.
If you are accustomed to an ice maker, it’ll be very difficult for you to cope with a situation where your ice maker is not working. But the good thing is, troubleshooting an ice maker is much easier than troubleshooting other parts of the refrigerator.
So if you notice your Whirlpool refrigerator ice maker not working, there’s nothing to worry about. Check out the system properly, find the problem, and troubleshoot accordingly. If it still doesn’t work, do not hesitate to call a professional repairman.