From classic white sneakers to chic white boots, they can make any outfit look fresh and polished. If you wear them often or in messy environments, they will become dirty. You will need to clean them regularly. So, it is a challenging task to clean them by hand every time.
Hand washing is a popular method for cleaning white shoes. But it can be time-consuming and ineffective also. On the other hand, a washing machine not only saves your time and effort but also delivers excellent results.
With a little bit of difference, normal cloth washing and shoe washing are the same. You can get excellent cleaning performance from a machine. Before starting the cleaning, you should learn how to wash white shoes in washing machine. Otherwise, you will damage your shoes.
First of all, remove laces and insoles from the shoes. Pre-treat any stains and put them in the washer. Add mild detergent and cold water. Now run a gentle cycle to clean them. Rinse the shoes thoroughly and let them air dry completely before wearing them again.
Let’s check the detailed procedure-
Step by Step: How to Wash White Shoes in Washing Machine
As I stated earlier, there are differences between cloth washing and shoe washing in machines. So, you can’t just put shoes in washer and start washing.
Follow this step-by-step process and clean your white shoes with minimal hassle.
Prepare Your Shoes for Cleaning in Washing Machine
You must clean any loose dirt or debris from your shoes before starting to clean. Apart from that you need to check the shoe label for washing instructions. Here’s how you can do it-
- Remove loose dirt or debris from your shoes: Loose and excess dirt will stuck in the washing machine. So, take a soft-bristled brush or a dry cloth and gently wipe off any dirt or debris from your shoes.
- Clean stains or marks with a mild detergent: Are there any visible stains or marks in your shoes? If yes, make a solution of mild detergent and cold water and scrub the stained area with the solution using a brush. Wait a few minutes. But don’t let the scrub be hard. Otherwise, it may damage the shoe materials. Rinse the area with clean water and let it dry completely before washing them in the machine.
- Check shoe label for washing instructions: For proper cleaning without damaging them, check the shoe label for any specific washing instructions. Some shoes may not be suitable for machine washing. Whereas, others may require a specific temperature or cycle. If you are in doubt, avoid machine-washing your shoes.
Prepare Your Washing Machine for Cleaning White Shoes
Debris or color water may change the appearance of white shoes instead of cleaning them. So, check wash tub for any debris and clean them. Select right wash cycle and proper temperature. Use a mild detergent, fabric softener and run the cycle. Details procedure are below-
- Clean wash tub before use: Dirt or debris may transfer onto your shoes while cleaning them. That’s why run an empty cycle with hot water and detergent. It will clean wash drum and remove any built-up dirt or grime.
- Select right washing cycle and temperature: High temperature can damage the glue or rubber on your shoes. Besides, there is a possibility of changing shoes’ shape. So, select a gentle cycle and set the temperature to cold or lukewarm. A gentle cycle will help to protect the material of your shoes and prevent any damage.
- Add detergent and fabric softener: Use mild or soft detergent according to the instructions on the shoe label. Don’t use too much detergent. Because excessive detergent can leave residue on your shoes and cause them to look dull or discolored. If you wish to use fabric softener, add it to the rinse cycle.
Put Your White Shoes in Washing Machine and Run Wash Cycle
You have already prepared your shoes and washing machine. Now it’s time to wash your shoes. Here is the detailed process-
- Place your shoes in a mesh laundry bag or pillowcase: Any moving parts in the washing machine may catch your shoes. So, it’s better to use a mesh laundry bag. It will protect your shoes during the wash cycle. If there is no mesh laundry bag, use a pillowcase tied at the top.
- Start your washing machine: Put your shoes in the mesh laundry bag or pillowcase and load them in the washing machine. Now start washing machine and let it complete the wash cycle. Avoid washing your shoes with other items of clothing. Because they will rub against each other and cause damage to your shoes.
- Remove shoes from washing machine and let them air dry: If wash cycle is completed, take out shoes from the washing machine. Remove them from the mesh laundry bag or pillowcase. Dryer heat will change shoes’ shape and damage their material. So, don’t put your shoes in the dryer. Rather, you should air dry them in a well-ventilated area away from direct sunlight.
What Next after Cleaning Shoes in the Washing Machine
If your shoes are in white color, you can take a few steps to make them look their best. Follow the below guide-
- Treat any remaining stains or marks: Check your shoes for any remaining stains or marks. Are there any visible stains or marks? Apply stain remover or a baking soda and water solution to the affected area. Let it sit for a few minutes and rinse it off with clean water.
- Stuff the shoes with paper towels: Stuff the shoes with paper towels or a clean cloth before keeping them for drying. Otherwise, direct sunlight may change shape or develop creases. Don’t wear them until dry is completed.
Warning for Washing White Shoes in Washing Machine
- Don’t add other colored items with white shoes while washing them in the washer. Otherwise, there remains a possibility of colorizing your shoes also.
- Never wash leather shoes in the washing machine. Excessive water and washer spin speed will decrease their durability.
- Soft or mild detergent is suitable for shoe cleaning. Strong detergent will not only change color but also reduce shoes’ durability.
- Cool or normal tap water is perfect for cleaning shoes. Hot water with detergent may remove color or damage glue. Lukewarm water is not bad for cleaning shoes. Just avoid hot water.
Can all white shoes be washed in a washing machine?
No, all white shoes are not suitable for washing in a machine. You must check shoes’ care label for specific instructions before washing them in the machine. If machine washing is forbidden on the label, you must hand wash or clean them using a damp cloth.
What temperature should the water be for washing white shoes in a machine?
Cold or warm water setting is always better for white shoes. Hot water may change shoes’ shape and reduce their durability.
What type of detergent should I use for washing white shoes in a machine?
A mild detergent is always recommended for washing white shoes in a machine. Strong detergent damages shoes. So, avoid it.
Is it safe to place shoes in the drum of a washing machine?
Yes, it is safe. But for better safety, you can use mesh laundry bag or a pillowcase tied at the top.
Can I dry white shoes in a dryer?
No, it is not recommended to dry white shoes in a dryer. Excessive heat will damage shoes’ material and cause shrinkage or discoloration. It is best to air dry shoes on a clean cloth to help them keep their shape when they dry.
How long does it take for white shoes to dry after washing in a machine?
It depends on the material and the ambient temperature and humidity. On average, it will take 10-24 hours to dry completely.
Is it necessary to stuff the shoes with newspaper while they are drying?
It is not necessary. You can keep shoes for air drying on a clean cloth if desired. But stuffing shoes with newspaper can help to maintain their shape as they dry and prevent any creasing or distortion of the material.
Washing shoes in a laundry machine is quick and easy. With minimal effort, Machine washing can deliver shoes like new.
I hope you have already learned how to wash white shoes in a washer. Though machine washing is super easy, but must check shoe label for specific washing instructions. Besides, mild detergent and a gentle cycle are also necessary to avoid damage. A little bit of care and attention will keep your shoes excellent for many seasons.